Aug 13, 2014

You Are Called



And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” - Matthew 4:19


“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” - Matthew 28:19-20


We are all called to ministry.



That may seem like a big claim but it is truth. As soon as you become a follower of Christ, you are called to ministry. You have been called to reach your neighborhood, family, friends, workplace and community. You have been called to be a light in the darkness; a city on a hill.


In short, you have been called to be on mission with God. God has always sought to bless the world and he wants you to join Him in that mission.


Genesis 12:2-3 says, “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”


But what does that look like? How do you begin to take steps to start being a blessing to your neighbors?


I think that the easiest way to begin is with an acronym coined by Dave Ferguson. We are all called to B.L.E.S.S. those around us.


B - Begin with prayer. Ask God, “How can I be a blessing to my neighbors and coworkers today?”


L - Listen Listen, but listen to people. Listen to their pains, heartaches, trials in the places where God sends you.


E - Eat We aren’t talking a quick bite. You have to take the time to share a meal with people or a cup of coffee. I believe that this is key to building relationships.


S - Serve If you listen to people and eat with people they will tell you what their needs are. You will find out quickly how you can serve them and show love them in tangible way.


S - Story When the time is right you will now have the relational currency to share your story of how Jesus has changed your life.

These may seem very simple, but if you begin to work at these areas in your everyday life you will begin to see relationships built, your eyes will be opened to those “divine coincidences” around you and you will be instrumental in helping people find their way back to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what's on your mind...